CERT Level 2 "Shelter Fundamentals and Disaster Services Overview"
The CERT Level 2 course consists of three elements:
- American Red Cross Course
- FEMA Independent Study Courses
- Department of Justice Background Check
Any Elk Grove - Galt CERT member wanting to volunteer for any Community Event, CERT Training or assisting with local emergencies where CERT has been activated, must have fully completed the CERT Level 2 training below.
|American Red Cross Course
The American Red Cross Course is a 7 hour class instructed by the American Red Cross. The course topics are Introduction to Shelter Fundamentals and Disaster Services Overview.
This class is conducted at either the Elk Grove or Galt training facilities.
|FEMA Independent Study Courses
In addition to the ARC course you will also need to complete 2 FEMA on-line independent study courses:
To complete the 2 FEMA NIMS courses....
1. Go to http://training.fema.gov/IS/NIMS.asp . This link will take you directly to the FEMA webpage that contains all available ISP (Independent Study Program) NIMS courses.
2. From here you will select the appropriate course. This will enable you to read the necessary material, take an on-line test and receive a certificate of completion.
Cosumnes CSD Fire Department
10573 E. Stockton Blvd
Elk Grove, CA 95624
Note: Although only the 2 NIMS courses are required for the CERT Level 2 certification, we strongly encourage you to take as many of the FEMA ISP NIMS course as you possibly can.
|Department of Justice Background Check
Once you have successfully completed the American Red Cross course and both of the FEMA courses, we will then ask that you complete a Department of Justice Live Scan Background Check. This is the final step in completing the CERT Level 2 course requirements.
To complete the DOJ Live Scan check you must:
1. Obtain the appropriate DOJ form from the CERT Coordinator or Admin Assistant (contact info below)
2. Present the completed form to the Elk Grove Police Department (in person) on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday between 8am and 10am or between 1pm and 3:30pm.
Note: If there are groups that need to be live scanned, they will need to come in one at a time and not in groups.
3. Provide a copy of your completed Live Scan to the CERT Admin Assistant (contact info below)
Upon completion of all of the above, the CERT Admin Assistant or its designee will take your photograph and issue you a CERT photo ID.
CERT Admin Assistant